Good Morning,
Today I want to talk about an issue that arose this past week with me. I had an informal performance review with my boss and we got onto the topic of Goal Setting. It seems that the goals I had when I started looking at 2011 were a "tad bit lofty!" I was starting to get a little frustrated with the results I was getting from all my efforts in Initial Calls and Follow-ups. It would be easy to say that the economy hasn't picked up yet or that the extended winter here in Calgary has everyone hibernating in their offices or homes for a while longer, but I think the simple reality of it is that I set the bar too high for myself. I wanted to believe that I could achieve the level of results that I have become accustomed to seeing.
The problem is actually very basic; I set my goals so high I couldn't ever reach them in the time-frame I first envisioned. I remember the day I set my goals 5 months ago and I really believed I could reach them. It was alevel of activity I was used to attaining, so I didn't feel as though I was stretching myself any more than usual.
Okay, so here's the point to my ranting:
If you set your goal at an unreasonable level, you will experience frustration over the lack of percieved results.
1) When you are setting your goals(you are doing goal setting on a regular basis right?), do your absolute best to set them so you are challenged to hit the level you desire but not so high that you don't have any chance of meeting your goals.
2) Be as specific as possible when you set your goals so they are measurable at the end of the time-frame laid out. Remember to use the acronym S.M.A.R.T.(Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely).
This will help you to set your goals appropriately.
3) Be prepared to adjust your goals mid-stream. Treat your goals as a moving target. Don't be afraid to adjust them one way or the other if they aren't working the way you need them to. One word of caution though; don't make drastic changes to your overall plan, make small but meaningful changes that will allow for an improvement to the results.
4). Welcome input from others around you. If you do this in the beginning you allow for some very valuable feedback from your peers and associates that you may have overlooked or overstated. Others see you for what you are and will add value if you get them involved in your goal-setting.
I went back and actually looked at each of the 4 points above when I was re-doing my goals last week. I actually dropped off 2 copies on the desks of some co-workers this morning so that I can try to finalize them today or tomorrow.
I have to say it's a relief to be able to look at my new goals in a fresh light. It has given me renewed enthusiasm to do my best to meet my short-term and long-term goals. I also know that I will have my co-workers here to help me in my bid to meet my goals.
I hope this article will help you to find the time and commit to making some positive changes in your goal-setting.
Happy Selling,
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment